The Northern Rockies Fire Science Network is a resource for managers and scientists involved in fire and fuels management in the Rocky Mountains of Idaho, Montana, Washington, and Wyoming. There are a lot of valuable institutions in our region that support fire science research, education, and management.
NRFSN collaborates with:
- four regional universities (Montana State University, University of Montana, Salish Kootenai College, University of Idaho),
- a regional U.S. Forest Service center (Rocky Mountain Research Station),
- four U.S. Forest Service science labs (Bozeman Forestry Sciences Laboratory, Missoula Fire Sciences Laboratory, Missoula Forestry Sciences Laboratory, Moscow Forestry Sciences Laboratory),
- a regional U.S. Geological Survey center (Northern Rocky Mountain Science Center), and
- an interagency wilderness science institute (Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute).
The NRFSN region encompasses a wide geographical area that includes nine experimental forests and demonstration sites.